Monday, March 15, 2010

Glyph update II

Dave Means has sent me another batch of build pictures for my Glyph mezzo soprano. Looks like it's coming along pretty good now. I have no idea when it will be completed, but I guess it's done when it's done. Onto the pics!

The finished back.


Roughing out the Spanish cedar neck.


Cutting slot for carbon fiber reinforcement rod.


Gluing the carbon fiber rod and neck attachment barrel nut.


Cutting out the tail graft inlay with a jeweler's saw.


Inlaying the character onto a piece of ebony.

Test fitting the tail graft.


Gluing the back linings.

Roughing out the neck on a band saw.


Sanding the sides and linings on a 12"-radius dish to match the dome of the back.


Routing the rosette channel.


Cutting out the soundhole.


Inlaying the rosette.


Sanding the arch in the bottom of the soundboard braces.


Gluing the soundboard braces & rosewood bridge patch.


Notching the back linings to received the ends of the back braces.


Gluing on the back.


The neck after carving and rough sanding. (note: this will be a slotted headstock)


Profiling the soundboard braces with a finger plane.


Ramping the brace ends with a paring chisel.


The finished soundboard.


Gluing in the top linings.


So that's it for now. Looks like most of the parts are complete or nearing completion. The fretboard will have a Jake Shimabukuro style inlay of my initials and the rough design by Dave looked great to me. This should end up being a pretty cool little uke.
Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I fall in love with you mini jake ukulele at the first sight. I would really love to have this uke in my collection. Is it possible if I want to buy this Glyph mini jake? Please let me know at ezkimoz@hotmail.com. Thank you very much.

Which uke should I bring on my next trip to Oahu???

What's the maximum you'd spend on a ukulele case for your best uke?

If you could steal one of my ukes, which one would it be???

How curly do you like your koa? (preferably on a uke)

What's the maximum number of ukes a perfectly sane person should have???

Poll: How often do you play the ukulele???

Poll: Which guitar company's approach to ukes do you prefer???

Poll: What's your favorite type of headstock???

Poll: The new basic Collings concert uke (UC-1) sells for about $1k, your reaction is: