Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Gypsy Ukulele....finally

(The Ukulele Smackdown will resume soon)

About a year and a half ago, I mentioned on this blog that I wanted to learn Gypsy Ukulele by Acoustic Soul. I loved that song and thought it would be really cool to be playing it on my Gypsy Rose concert ukulele. I tried learning the song in anticipation of the ukulele (it arrived on October, 2008), but kind of gave up as I couldn't seem to get past the half way point of the song. Even with the arrival of the Gypsy Rose, I kind of lost my motivation to learn the song and moved on to other songs. Recently I saw a post from Mike Okouchi on Ukulele Underground and it rekindled my desire to learn the song. I busted out Dominator's tabs and to my surprise, was able to make it through the song after a couple of days. (...maybe I have improved a little in my ukulele playing....) I then recorded the backup chords, played on the Gypsy Rose, using Audacity and started my attempt to record a video of this song. It was easier thought than done! I must have gone through 20-30 takes before arriving at the video you see below. And it's not all that great either, but I don't think I'll be able to record a better video for the time being. To be perfectly honest, I don't think it's that hard to play anymore, but I keep screwing up various parts when trying to film this video. I guess when you try to get things perfect it just doesn't happen. So anyway, here is the long awaited (by me) video of Gypsy Ukulele on the Gypsy Rose!

No comments:

Which uke should I bring on my next trip to Oahu???

What's the maximum you'd spend on a ukulele case for your best uke?

If you could steal one of my ukes, which one would it be???

How curly do you like your koa? (preferably on a uke)

What's the maximum number of ukes a perfectly sane person should have???

Poll: How often do you play the ukulele???

Poll: Which guitar company's approach to ukes do you prefer???

Poll: What's your favorite type of headstock???

Poll: The new basic Collings concert uke (UC-1) sells for about $1k, your reaction is: